In a joint operation by Indian Army and Police, Army apprehended Nikunja Kathar, Commander-in-Chief of UPLA (United Peoples Liberation Army) along with two cadres. Based on specific intelligence from own sources , a surgical operation was launched by a joint team of Army and Police which led to the apprehension of Nikunja Kathar and his accomplices with arms and ammunition. The continuous inputs from various intelligence agencies of the planned sabotage activities in Assam during the period preceding Independence day was being monitored closely.
Nikunja Kathar is a hardcore terrorist and has been involved in numerous acts of killing, extortion and kidnappings including the brutal killing of Nityananda Goswami, Superintendent of Police (SP) West Karbi Anglong in Jun 2014. He is an ex UPDS cadre who was instrumental in raising, training and illegally equipping the terrorist outfit UPLA.
Kathar was arrested in 2014 and had been absconding since he was granted bail in Nov 2014. Preliminary interrogation has confirmed his recent visit to Myanmar, where he was in talks with NSCN(K), ULFA(I) and KPLT under the umbrella of the UNLFWSEA (United Liberation Front of Western South East Asia) to revive UPLA in the hill districts and also execute sabotage activities including IED blasts in Assam in the run up to the Independence Day. Kathar was also carrying out reconnaissance of specific areas in East & West Karbi Anglong for establishment of training camps and recruitment of new cadres.
The apprehension of this top leader has dealt a severe blow to the ongoing revival process of UPLA and other terrorist groups operating in the hill districts and shall also sever the association of UPLA with NSCN (K), ULFA (I) and other outfits.His apprehension is also likely to adversely impact the safe conduit of arms, ammunition and IEDs from neighboring states and Myanmar to Assam. The local populaces has hailed this operation as a major success and believe that this shall provide much needed succor from extortion and illegal activities in Karbi Anglong.
Who is Nikunj Kathar ( information provided by Security Forces )
- Brief of Nikunj Kathar @ Ramsing Engti is Ex UPDS, joined in Dec 2000 thereafter surrendered in the yr 2011
- Formed UPLA on 02-02-2014 at Taralngso, play ground, Diphu. Thereafter went to Punja Pahar under Baithalangso PS, selected and prepare a site for the purposed training of their organisation. In the month of May i.e. from 01-05-2013, the training of the first batch of UPLA started. There were 20 cadres, 10 ex UPDS cadres and 10 newly recruited cadres. Nikunj Kathar provided 2 (two) AK 47 Rifles, 1 (one) 9mm pistol for the training. The training continued for about one month.
- After completion of the trg on 05-06-2014 they reached reached Rumphum Vill and in an encounter with a police party killed the then Superintendent of Police, Hamren i.e. Nityananda Goswami, APS and his PSO Ratul Nunisa.
- They also looted the 9mm pistol and AK-47 rifle from the killed police man.
- Arrested : 10-06-2014, later on all those arms amn along with some other weapons of the UPLA org were recovered by the police in an OP conducted on 11-06-2014. Bailed out : 10-11-2015
- After jumping the bail he went to Myanmar with the help of NSCN-K involved in the reorganising of UPLA and other Karbi outfits in the AOR.
- Off late devp close links with NSCN-K, ULFA( I) & KPLT.