BIG BREAKING- Over 50 people are feared dead after a major train accident took place in Amritsar, Punjab.
Arunachal24 News Desk
Over 50 people are feared dead after a major train accident took place in Amritsar, Punjab, According to media reports, the accident took place near Amritsar’s Joda Phatak when effigies of Ravana were being burnt on the railway tracks. At least 300 people were at the spot watching ‘Ravana dahan’ at a ground near the tracks. As the effigy was lit and the fireworks went off, a section of the crowd started retreating towards the tracks where a large number of people were already standing to watch the event, officials said. Several people were mowed down by one of the trains, they added.
Visual of Train Accident
Atleast 50 devotees killed in train accident due to Congress party in Amritsar
Cong organised Dussehra celebrations W/o permission
Sidhu's wife was chief guest
She continued her speech as ppl were struck down by train
Later fled from place in her Carpic.twitter.com/C2j2rn3wSI
— Mahesh Vikram Hegde 🇮🇳 (@mvmeet) October 19, 2018
- Centre has announced Rs. 2 lakh for the family of the deceased and Rs 50,000 for the injured.
- State mourning has been declared in Punjab tomorrow, and all offices and educational institutions will remain closed, in the view of Amritsar train accident.
- Police and volunteers carry a victim from the site of a train accident in Amritsar, Friday, Oct 19, 2018. Officials said at least 60 bodies have been found and many more injured have been admitted to a government hospital.
We are shocked and deeply anguished at the tragic train accident in Punjab.
We request all IYC volunteers and the Punjab government to do everything in their power to rescue and save as many lives as possible. Please help.https://t.co/OXSQSfWzKl
— Indian Youth Congress (@IYC) October 19, 2018
- Punjab chief minister Amarinder Singh orders probe into Amritsar train mishap, mobilizes recue and relief. The Cm will reach tomorrow to assess situation. Two cabinet ministers, top bureaucrats, DGP rushed to mishap site to supervise rescue and relief efforts.
Extremely saddened by the train accident in Amritsar. The tragedy is heart-wrenching. My deepest condolences to the families of those who lost their loved ones and I pray that the injured recover quickly. Have asked officials to provide immediate assistance that is required.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) October 19, 2018
- According to Punjab minister OP Soni the death toll could be between 100-150. But he could not confirm the number as the bodies are still scattered in the area, Reported Firstpost.
Shocked to hear about the tragedy on rail tracks in Amritsar, Punjab. Understand Indian Railways and local authorities are taking steps to help affected people. Heartfelt condolences to bereaved families #PresidentKovind
— President of India (@rashtrapatibhvn) October 19, 2018
- Punjab CM Amarinder Singh said in a tweet that he was rushing to oversee rescue efforts in Amritsar. He also offered Rs 5 lakh to the kin of deceased.
Rushing to Amritsar to personally supervise relief & rescue in tragic rail accident on Dussehra in Amritsar. My govt will give Rs 5 lakh to kin of each deceased & free treatment to injured in govt & pvt hospitals. District authorities have been mobilised on war footing.
— Capt.Amarinder Singh (@capt_amarinder) October 19, 2018
- Indian Railway has confirmed that DMU train 7493 mowed down Dussehra revellers near Amritsar. Subdivisional magistrate Rajesh Sharma says the death toll has mounted to 50.
- Over 50 people are feared dead when a speeding train rammed into gathering of people who were watching Dussehra celebrations near a railway track in Amritsar, Punjab.
- According to local media, effigies of Ravan were being burnt on the tracks due to which the accident took place.
- It was an EMU train, running between Jalandhar and Amritsar.
- several people of all age groups were present to witness the burning of effigies of Ravana near the railway track when suddenly an EMU arrived on the track.
- Police reports say that more than 50 people are feared dead. Injured people are being shifted to a nearby hospital meanwhile all the concerned authorities are monitoring the situation.
Waiting for update