The NF Railway has made special arrangements for smooth and safe handling of extra rush of passengers expected at Guwahati and Kamakhya stations during the Ambubashi mela starting from 22nd June, 2017. The Kamakhya station of N.F.Rly is expected to witness huge congregation of passengers during the period of the mela. The General Manager, Chahatey Ram along with senior officials took stock of preparedness for handling large volume of passenger traffic at the station. He instructed all concerned officials to ensure adequate arrangements for handling large number of pilgrims during the mela from 22nd to 26th June.
- F.Railway authority will deploy adequate security staff at platforms, entry gates, level crossing gates and nearby railway tracks to streamline the rush of pilgrims.
- Railway doctors with medical staff and Ambulance will be deployed to provide medical assistance to the pilgrims.
- Proper sanitation at stations will be maintained by deploying additional staff with necessary materials on round the clock basis.
- Additional drinking water facilities for pilgrims will be provided at station areas.
- The approach of the Kamakhya station will be kept free from any encroachment during the period for ease of movement of pilgrims.
- Volunteers from Railway Scouts and Guides will be deployed round-the-clock to ensure smooth movement of pilgrims during boarding and de-boarding of trains.
- All ticket counters (reserved/unreserved) will be manned round the clock during the mela period. Additional ticket checking team will also be deployed during the period.
- Additional sleeper class and general second class coaches are being added in Kanchanjungha Express running from Sealdah to Guwahati/Silchar/Agartala and back.
- Extra coaches are being added from Guwahati w.e.f. 18th, from Silchar w.e.f. 19th, and from Agartala w.e.f. 20th June.
- Extra coaches will continue to be attached till 29th June from Sealdah. General second class coaches are being added during this period in 15769/15770 Alipurduar Jn – Lumding – Alipurduar Jn I/city exp, 15771/15772 Alipurduar Jn – Kamakhya – Alipurduar Jn I/city exp, 15417/15418 Alipurduar Jn – Silghat Town -Alipurduar Jn I/city exp, 55725/55726 New Jalpaiguri – Alipurduar Jn – New Jalpaiguri passenger, 55753/88754 Alipurduar Jn – Guwahati – Alipurduar Jn passenger,55711/55712 Malda Town – New Jalpaiguri – Malda Town passenger,15967/15968 Rangiya – Dibrugarh – Rangiya express, 15927/15928 Rangiya – New Tinsukia – Rangiya Express. Adequate publicity and announcement is being arranged for pilgrims, so that they don’t have to face any difficulty.
- Liaison with the State govt. is being maintained for smooth functioning of all facilities during the mela period.
- A 24-hour control room is being set up at the station which will be manned by staff from various departments including RPF.
The N. F. Railway, working in tandem with State Govt authorities, is sparing no effort for smooth conduct of the mela. The railway also requests the public and all stakeholders to maintain discipline and decorum in railway station premises so that travelling pilgrims do not suffer due to overcrowding and all amenities like toilet, drinking water etc. are accessed by all.