A special court set up inside the Jodhpur Central Jail convicted and awarded life sentence to Asaram for raping a 16-year-old schoolgirl inside his ashram in 2013. The 77-year-old godman will spent rest of his life in jail. Two other convicts have been sentenced to 20 years of jail each.
Jodhpur trial court convicts self-styled godman, four others
- Proceedings underway in Jodhpur jail
- Asaram present before judge
- All roads lead to Jodhpur Central Jail sealed
- Asaram’s aide Shiva arrives at Jodhpur Central Jail
- Gujarat and Haryana to be on alert to prevent Violence
- Ashram has appealed to supporters to maintain peace regardless.
- Delhi police on high alert ahead of Asaram Bapu rape case verdict
- Security beefed up outside victim’s house
- Entry, exit from gate number 2 of Jodhpur railway station closed till midnight
- Four Asaram Bapu followers detained
- Court bars media reporting from inside jail premises
- Asaram’s advocate reaches Jodhpur Central Jail
- Police detained One of Asaram’s followers in Jodhpur
- Security beefed up outside Jodhpur Central jail
- Security forces deployed at the residence of Judge Madhusudan Sharma
- 77-year-old Asaram was charged with raping a minor girl in Jodhpur’s Manai village. The incident took place in August 2013. An FIR against Asaram was registered in Delhi’s Kamla Nagar police station on August 20, 2013 after which the police took the victim for medical tests.
- Asaram has also been accused of trafficking. He had been booked under the Prevention of Children from Sexual Offences Act (POCSO) which could entail stringent punishment.
- Asaram was then arrested on September 1, 2013. The police had filed an FIR under sections 342, 376, 354 A, 506, 509/34 of the IPC, Sections 23, 26 of the Juvenile Justice Act and Section 8 of the POCSO Act.
- Asaram also has another case where two sisters from Surat, Gujarat lodged separate complaints against Asaram and his son Narayan Sai. The two sisters accused Asaram and his son of rape and illegal confinement.